Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Who?

Ms. P has the kids over on the rug.
She is talking to them about letters for a few minutes before lunch.
I finish up what I am doing and start to head over.
The door opens; a tall man enters the room.
Huh, I wonder who that is.
What is he doing here?
He introduces himself quietly to Ms. P and then he gets a chair and sits.
He must be observing Ms. P. What a random time though. 
Lunch is so soon.
Ms. P starts teaching the kids how to sign Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.
I grab a chair and join in on the learning.
I learn how to sign the song with the kids.
Then she goes through signing the alphabet with them.
That I know, but I join in anyways.
All the while, the man is sitting diagonally behind me in a chair.
“Ok, boys and girls, it is time to line up for lunch.  Get your lunch tags and lunch boxes and line up on your star. Ms. L? Would you take them down to the bathroom to wash and then down to the lunch room?”
“Of course!” I wait a minute while they get themselves together, then start singing. “If you’re ready and you know it stand up tall.”
The kids quiet down
“If you’re ready and you know it stand up tall”
They stand tall.
“If you’re ready and you know it, and you really want to show it, if you’re ready and you know it stand up tall.”
The students are facing the right way, looking at me, standing on tip toe.
Oh the wonders of a song.
I lead them down to the bathroom to wash their hands.  I get them in and out as quick as possible.
Then I lead them down to lunch.
I ask them to show me how a quiet line walks through the hall.
For the most part, they do.
I look down the line, almost everyone looking forward quietly.
At the end of the line are Ms. P, and the man.
Who is he?!
I drop the kids off at lunch and head to the teacher’s lounge.
I give up on trying to figure out who this person is.

People? This man that was observing is the dean of the education department at my university.
Seriously.  I had no clue who he was.
He is new.
Shush, it’s a valid excuse.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!