Friday, September 2, 2011

Content

Caleb puts his backpack on his back and reaches out for my hand.
I take his hand in mine we walk out the classroom door.
He is being dismissed early today. I am walking him to the office.
We walk for a minute in silence.

“I was good today?” He looks up at me and asks.
“Yes, kiddo; you were pretty good today.  Your pin got to stay at blue today. You had to put your head down a couple of times.  But overall, you were good.”
He thinks about this for a minute.
“Ok”
He accepts this fact.  Accepts the answer and decides he is happy with it.
“I’m going home? Mommy’s in the office?”
“Yes, sweetie.  You are going home.  Mommy will be waiting for you in the office.”
He is quiet for a moment.
We are almost to the office.
“Look! The office! I see her! I see mommy.” A bounce starts to fill his steps.  A smile crosses his face.
“Yup, there she is.”
His mom starts to come out of the office.
He lets go of my hand looks up at me with a smile and then runs to his mom.
“Bye Caleb, have a good weekend.”
He doesn’t hear me.  He is wrapped up in his mothers words, her warmth.
He is content in the moment.
I smile to myself, turn and walk away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!