Friday, September 9, 2011

Jobs Adults Do

Today started off on a rough foot during morning meeting. 
There were things I KNOW I should have done but didn’t.
I just feel bad always telling them to go put their heads down on the table.
But, I guess when “training” them on how school works, it is what you have to do.

During social studies, I was more confident. I got their attention more. We accomplished the task.
We talked about jobs that adults do and jobs that children do.
“Ok, everyone in your seats. Put on your listening ears.”
They sit, but continue to talk.
“Oh dear, seems we have forgotten the listening ears.”
Still talking.
I do the clap that they echo.  They echo, then do extra clapping.
“Not quite what I was looking for.  Let’s leave out the extra claps next time. I have a question for you. Do you know any adults? I am going to call on friends that are sitting quietly with their hands raised.  I want to see friends doing the right thing.”
I call on a few students.  They answer with mom, dad, and teachers.
“Good! Well, then do you know any children?”
I call on a few more students with their hands raised. They start naming one another.
Then they start to talk a lot and I can’t get them back.  I do the clapping thing again.  They echo and do extra claps.
“You know guys, that is not what I was looking for.  We are going to do it again without the extra claps.
Perfection and silence followed.
Hooray!
“Alright, so you are all children.”  Most say yes.  Except for Kyla, who says “No, we are adults.”
Sigh. She has been making comments like that to me all day today.
I shake my head no at her and quietly tell her that she needs to put her head down.
“I have another question.  What jobs do adults do that children can’t do?”
I look around at hands: skip over Kyla who is supposed to have her head down.  She gets the message quickly and puts her head back down.
“Nathan?”
“Umm, say bad words.”
Oh my gosh. I laugh a little.  So funny.
“Uh, well, Nathan, That is not exactly a job adults do. Ok so who knows a JOB adults do, like washing dishes, doing laundry.”
This got their brains working.

The rest of the lesson went pretty well.  I was more confident. I tried to keep things going.  Especially since we were running short on time.  Overall I think it went alright.
Seriously though, I had no clue how to respond to the say bad words thing.  So funny. I keep laughing about it now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!