Monday, August 22, 2011

So It Begins

Oh my gosh, I think I am going to puke!
Please don't puke, please don't puke! Deep breath, Kim. 
Just take a deep breath.  Breathing is usually important.


I grab my bag and get out of the car.
I take another deep breath and start walking down the sidewalk towards the door.

What if I say something stupid?
What if I do the wrong things?
What if I get lost?!
Shut up, Kim.  Now you are just being dumb.  It is a school, not an undiscovered island.


I walk up to the door and pull it open. 
I enter with a confidence so fake; it would fall apart at the seams if you touched it.
I go into the office to find out what comes next.

OK, Kim.  Now you have to talk.  Use your words, find them, quick!


"Hi, I am here as a student teacher for Ms. P..."

"Oh! You are my student teacher!"

Thank goodness! I don't have to find her!


I turn to my right to meet the super-teacher I had been talking to through email.

“Oh, Hi!”

"You're Kim?"

"Yes, I am"

"I am Mrs. P, it is good to finally meet you!"

"You too!"

You're doing great, just keep breathing!

"I have to go into the cafeteria, but follow me."

Being the obedient sheep that I am, I follow.

"So how are you doing this morning?" she asks as we walk across the hall to the cafeteria.

"Well to be honest, I am nervous and feel like throwing up" I laugh

Idiot! Why? Why would you say that?! You aren't supposed to admit that! Ugh!


"Oh I'm sorry!" she laughs, "It will be okay."

We enter the cafeteria and she tells me a little about what is happening and introduces me to another teacher.

"Well, I have to be in here for a little longer, and then I pick up the kids from the gym and bring them to the class.  So, you are more than welcome to stay here, or walk around the school, or go to the classroom. Whatever you want to do."

I nod, trying to make a quick decision.

"I think I will go check out the classroom if that is ok. Familiarize myself with it."


Good thinking, Kim.

She gives me directions on how to get there.

Sounds easy enough... but you are terrible at directions.  Pay close attention to where you are going. She said there would be a tree mural.  Oh look there it is!
Ok, so now I go down this hall? It looks like it might be the yellow hall.  Hmm.  I wish it was more like the yellow brick road. Well, let's see. 


I read the names outside the doors to myself.

Here it is! Yes! I did it and I didn’t get lost! Go me, Go me, Go me -


I realize I have started to do a little bit of a dance, luckily no one is around.
I quickly compose myself into a professional form again and enter the classroom.
It is so adorable.
Four little tables, each with little chairs.
A long table in the back.
A place to play house.
An art table
A large calendar with shapes and numbers is on the white board.
A cute rug with circles for the meeting area.
I love it.
I hear a little pitter-patter of footsteps coming down the hall. 
Then a few more pairs.
I hear little giggles.
I look out the door and around the corner.
There, little ones stand. Ready to being a new day of kindergarten.

3 comments:

  1. Baaaa! lol Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prof. Laughlin - Thanks! It was a good day, interesting morning.

    Amanda - Thanks for the baaa, ya, thanks for that. Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!